I recently joined an iOS Slack Chat and introduced myself as a Digital Nomad. A couple of people were really interested about the Digital Nomad part and asked if they could have a chat to talk about getting started and life in general. Rather than chat separately we arranged an Slack style online chat. The players were me, Jacky – an iOS developer with a couple of years experience based in Taipei – and Eugene (@EugeneBelinski) – a Computer Science Student from Minnesota. They’re both really cool guys. Hopefully this is as useful to you as it was for them.
I’ve applied some light editing to the chat and loosely dived it into the following topics:
- Getting Started & Finding Work
- Daily Life & Travel
- Productivity & Possessions
- Packing & Accommodation
- Staying Social
Let’s get started!
Getting Started & Finding Work
- Trust: If we’re not watching him is he still working?
- Communication: Will we be able to get hold of him? Will it cause a problem if he’s not here with us
You address trust by doing a great job, especially at the basics, turning up on time, being well presented and generally being a model employee
Daily Life & Travel
- Get up
- Do a little meditation (Maybe that’s different? But not specific to being overseas)
- Go to a co-working space and work
- Go someplace nice for lunch
- Do more work
- Go for a jog or a walk (jogging is one of my favourite ways to see a new place)
- Have dinner someplace nice
- Drink some wine and watch some TV, or meet up with new friends
- Go to bed
Going someplace nice is to eat easier when you are not at home, especially if you are in a cheaper country.
On weekends or days off we try and do a tour or go visit a museum, you know, the tourist stuff. You have an instant vacation then, it’s really nice.
Productivity & Possessions
freedom == responsibility
which doesn’t mean no work, if anything it can mean more.
Packing & Accommodation
So what did we miss?! If you have any other questions ask them in the comments 🙂
Animated gif from Giphy
- Full disclosure: I built this site ;) See other stuff I’ve worked on here